Contact Us for a Free Consultation 203-451-6919

Validating a Non-New Jersey Judgment in New Jersey

Validating a Non-New Jersey Judgment in New Jersey

Thomas W. Hartmann
The Hartmann Law Firm LLC; [email protected]; 908 769 6888

Enforcing the Judgment. If you win a lawsuit in another state, but the losing party only has assets in New Jersey, what do you do? The Uniform Enforcement of Foreign Judgments Act permits a judgment, decree or order of the United States or any other court to be given “full faith and credit” in New Jersey. This is also called “domesticating” or “docketing” the judgment in New Jersey.

Coming to New Jersey. Assuming you have done everything right in the other state or federal action outside of New Jersey, you follow a fairly straightforward process of filing certified copies of the other state or federal judgment in New Jersey with the Clerk of the Superior Court in Trenton, New Jersey. You or your attorney will also have to file an affidavit setting forth what happened in the prior case, whether the judgment was by default, and whether attempts to vacate (or reverse) the default or appeal the judgment have expired.

The other side can oppose this and can file an objection within 14 days.

If you are successful in getting the court to docket the judgment in New Jersey, it turns into a New Jersey judgment – just as if you had filed and won here. Then, you can pursue attempts to collect assets that pay for the judgment you have won.

The Reverse. The reverse situation might also occur – you win an original judgment in New Jersey, but find assets in another state. Then, following that state's version of the Uniform Enforcement of Judgments Act, you may be able to domesticate the judgment in that state and find assets to support your judgment.

The key point is that if you have a judgment in another state but assets are slim in that state, you can enforce the judgment in another state if assets are there.

The Hartmann Law Firm LLC can assist in these matters to insure your business and your assets are protected. Beyond this, we can help guide businesses through issues ahead of litigation or aggressively advocate in litigation and business disputes should the need arise.

Contact us Today

At the Watchung office of The Hartmann Law Firm LLC, attorney Tom Hartmann represents clients across New Jersey to advance their business, commercial, and personal goals when legal issues arise. We are responsive, communicative, and fully dedicated to your needs. Attorney Tom Hartmann represents clients across New Jersey, including Westfield, Plainfield, Berkeley Heights, Basking Ridge, Bernardsville, Edison, Piscataway, North Brunswick, East Brunswick, Sayreville, New Brunswick, Union, Elizabeth, Orange, East Orange, Morristown, Livingston, Scotch Plains, Summit, Mountainside, Springfield, Watchung, Union County, Somerset County, Middlesex County and Morris County, New Jersey. You can use the contact form, email me at [email protected] or call me on on my cell (203 451 6919).