I am attorney Tom Hartmann. I am a deeply and broadly experienced lawyer who specializes in commercial litigation. I have been doing this for 30 years in New Jersey and throughout the country. I also served in the United States Air Force on active duty and in the reserves for over 32 years, retiring at the rank of Brigadier General. This one of a kind breadth of experience allows me to serve my clients with great energy, judgment, focus and determination. The profile below expands on my background.
Litigation, Trial, Arbitration and Mediation
As a commercial litigator, I have successfully undertaken hundreds and hundreds of state cases; federal trial work; obtained multiple temporary restraining orders and preliminary injunctions; won numerous appellate and summary judgment efforts; argued and won prisoner rights cases twice before the Missouri Supreme Court; accomplished international property attachment; resolved a $100 million arbitration in favor of my client; and succeeded at multiple mediations.
I have defended and prosecuted over 100 criminal matters involving murder, manslaughter, rape, sexual assault, aggravated assault, theft, drug use, possession, distribution, conspiracy and importation, theft, and false claims.
As a General Counsel for public and private companies, I have offered all aspects of legal support: litigation; transactional; negotiation of major contracts; regulatory; Board/Committee agendas and secretarial matters; real estate and leases; dispute resolution; negotiation of banking-security-subordination-intercreditor agreements; preparation of public filings; licensing; insurance; legal/financial/regulatory/HR/marketing compliance; corporate governance; and risk management. As a General Counsel, I successfully resolved more than 400 cases in litigation, including a class action for less than 5% of its expected recovery value.
Global Mergers & Acquisitions
I was the lead negotiator for my client on the creation of a multi-billion dollar second national telecom provider in France with U.S., British, German and French partners. I divested two cable TV properties for approximately $1 billion. I shepherded a $100 million divestiture in Chile; managed international regulatory approvals for the largest telecom merger in history at the time; and negotiated joint marketing agreements between my client and satellite TV and Internet service.
Restructuring; Turnaround; Direct Operational Experience
As General Counsel, I led a company through a 56-day prepackaged bankruptcy. I negotiated with the bank syndicate, as well as hundreds of litigants and other claimants to speed the process and put the company back in full swing. I helped lead the company after emergence as General Counsel and Sr. Vice President of Administration by assuming responsibility for Safety, HR, Insurance, Regulatory, Collections, and a substantial Procurement Centralization effort, which netted approximately $11 million in savings.
I served in the United States Air Force both on active duty and as a reservist for more than 32 years, retiring at the rank of Brigadier General.
I am an Honor Graduate of the United States Air Force Academy. I won the Franklin Wolfe Fellowship in Humanities for post-graduate study at Stanford University, where I was awarded a Master of Arts Degree and named an Air Force Institute of Technology Distinguished Graduate. I graduated WITH HIGH HONORS from George Washington University Law School and was named to the Order of the Coif.
Sole Practitioner Location: Watchung, New Jersey Phone: 203-451-6919 Email: E-mail Me
Areas of Practice
- Business and Commercial Litigation
- Commercial Leases
- Corporate Policies & Procedures
- Condominium Law
- Employee Rights - Employer
- Employment Contracts - Employer
- Employment Discrimination - Employer
- Employment Law - Employer
- Race Discrimination
- Sex Discrimination
- Sexual Harassment
- District of Columbia, 1983
- Missouri, 1991 (inactive)
- Illinois, 2002 (retired)
- New Jersey, 2010
- U.S. District Court District of New Jersey, 2010
- George Washington University Law School, Washington, District of Columbia
- J.D. - 1983
- Honors: With High Honors
- Stanford University, Palo Alto, California
- M.A. - 1978
- Honors: Air Force Institute of Technology Distinguished Graduate
- US Air Force Academy, Colorado Springs, Colorado
- B.S. - 1977
- Honors: Honor Graduate
- Honors: Deans List
- Honors: Commandant's List
- Honors: Superintendent's List
- Major: History
- Second Major: International Affairs
- Enforcing Arbitration Awards, Corporate Counsel Quarterly, Vol 12, Number 3, 1996
- Reprint of Enforcing Arbitration Awards, Commercial Law Advisor, Issue No. 132, 1998
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Air Force Reserve Officer's Assn., Life Member
- New Jersey State Bar Association, Member
- Illinois Bar Associations, Member (Inactive)
- Missouri Bar Association, Member (Inactive)
- The District of Columbia Bar, Member